Christ will be my hideaway

Today Kim Hubbard reflects on singing the Psalms.

 Christ will be my hideaway

 When we think of the Psalms, most of us think solely of reading them. But we should also sing them, particularly in the gathering of the church. Indeed, for 3,000 years the Psalter has been the songbook of God’s people. (Keith Getty & David Robertson)

 As a congregation, we don’t sing many hymns and songs that are paraphrases of psalms or closely based upon them. I’ve checked our song database and found a few.  All people that on earth do dwell (Psalm 100), Create in me a clean heart (Psalm 51), How lovely is your dwelling place (Psalm 84), Lord how majestic you are (Psalm 8), O God our help in ages past (Psalm 90), Safe in the shadow of the Lord (Psalm 91), The Lord’s my shepherd (Psalm 23), Through all the changing scenes of life (Psalm 34), To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul (Psalm 25)…  A few, but given there are 150 psalms there’s plenty of scope for more!

 Last Sunday morning, our online service included I will wait for You based on Psalm 130

 I’ve just come across another new song inspired by a psalm.  Written very recently, it is called Christ will be my hideaway.  On his blog, one of the song-writers Tim Chester writes:

 "Bob Kauflin and I have written a new congregational song with the help of Nathan Stiff, David Zimmer, Lacy Hudson and McKenzie Fuller. It’s based on Psalm 91 where the Psalmist encourages us to find refuge “in the shelter of the Most High” and “the shadow of the Almighty” so that we do not fear “the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday”. It’s a great Psalm of comfort at any time, but it seems especially relevant to our current anxieties."

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midday tomorrow!

Word Online

Catching up with new graduate, Tom Morgan.