At home with...Geoffrey in Nairobi


1.       Introduce yourself:

 I am Geoffrey Muatha from Kenya. A third born in a family of eight: four sisters and three brothers. I do love cooking - and trying out recipes, strong coffee, and muffins. Trained as a teacher, but now labouring full-time as a Gospel worker. A member of GracePoint Church in Nairobi Kenya, and hoping to join the Myton church soon. 

And celebrating my birthday today! Happy Birthday Geoffrey 😀

 2.       What impact has the current lockdown had on you?

For a long time, I’ve been working from home and didn’t think it’ll reach a point I’d be tired of staying indoors because of the lockdowns. Three months now of ‘limited freedom’ in many ways, and it starts to feel like a ‘prison’. I couldn’t help to think of the many confined in real prisons, and how difficult that may be! But again I think of the many in a greater prison of sin, and without any hope - how great a double tragedy! If there is a time I am more grateful to God for Jesus who has rescued me from that prison of sin and death, and the freedom I have in Him!

Practically, just before the pandemic spread and necessitating lockdowns, apart from not being able to meet my family for a while, I was on the prime stages of working on my travel visa to come and join the church in Myton. That has been interrupted indefinitely. I was also helping run a youth camp on the Coast of Kenya helping mentor and train teenagers transiting to colleges and universities- that was also affected.

 3.       What does your ‘normal day’ now look like?

On good days I wake up at 6.00 am for a morning jog, then spend the rest of the day working on different things that come up- either reading, or cooking, or having one on one's meetings. And then every evening taking a walk around and listen to podcasts.

 4.       Tell us one encouragement you’ve experienced whilst in lockdown.

I stay with a friend who’s made my stay not feel so lonely. We’ve had moments of prayer together and studying God’s word. Now that we have a provision to host a few people in the house, we’ve taken the liberty to invite several families and individuals within the church for lunch and fellowship. It has been great having different people and unhurried time of sharing lives. It has been encouraging to keep enjoying that sense of community, even though in a limited way.

5.       Any funny moments you are willing to share?

A kitchen escapade. As I mentioned, I love cooking and been hosting different people at my house. A few weeks ago we had some friends around, and I decided to fry some potato snacks. I put oil in the pan, (and covered with a lid) and left it to heat. I then joined the friends and was carried away with stories. After a while, I remembered the boiling oil in the kitchen and didn’t consider that it had overheated, and all covered up. So pouring in the chipped potatoes, so much smoke came out and filled the entire house. Our neighbours thought that our apartment had caught fire- and my friends don’t want me to make potato chips for them ever!

 6.       Tell us one thing you are finding challenging.

Dealing with disrupted sleep patterns, and with almost an empty diary on many occasions. Not being able to meet people as before, especially in church.

 7.       What aspect of God’s character or work have you been enjoying?

I’ve been thinking through and enjoying the goodness of God. His goodness in provision for our needs; in comforting; how in his goodness he equips us with everything good for doing his will. Not only so, but he also works in us what is pleasing to him through Jesus Christ to his glory!

Among the many things happening, the question of ‘why is everything happening as it is, and why is God ‘not responding’’ shouts louder. So much to chew over as pertains to God’s sovereignty in all of life. And many times when I can’t seem to wholly and satisfactorily answer the question of why, I can take comfort in knowing that in all of the things God is good- and that is a safeguard for me.

 8.       Give us something we can pray for you.

I look forward to the day I would come in your company and be refreshed in your fellowship, but until then as the Lord wills, pray that I would remain hopeful; that God would give me great endurance and encouragement and fill me with all joy and peace as I trust in Him - not only for my coming but more so in the Gospel!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midday tomorrow!

Word Online

Reaching your neighbours - the Mezei's front window!