At home with...Jilly

In small or large ways we are all adjusting to a new normal.

Our daily lives look different.

But most, if not all, of these adjustments are hidden from those in our church community who live beyond our own four walls.
We might be able to imagine what others are experiencing but we can't see it.

In the late 1980s there was a game show on ITV called 'Through the key hole'. It featured the host going into celebrities homes and then a panel in the studio having to guess the famous homeowner based on what could be seen in the rooms.

Over the next few weeks we are going to step into the 'homes' of some in the church - not to guess who the house belongs to but to discover what the 'new normal' looks like for their life. 
Different ages, stages and circumstances. Everyone will be asked the same questions. Answer in their own style. And together give us a taste of what life looks for them at the moment.   

Jilly

1.       Introduce yourself

Hi, I’m Jilly, I’m been at Myton for about 30yrs. I like growing my own Vegi’s, smelling essential oil’s, eating cake, cycling  and cooking with lentils but I have a fairly short attention span so these pastimes go in and out of favour at fast pace. 

My tribe is an eclectic mix, including a husband, a son, a couple of parents, a lodger and occasional extras that seem to surface at various points.

 2.       What impact has the current lockdown had on you?

So in pre-Covid19 times I worked from home most of the week so it’s not that different. I am a Social Worker working with older people in care homes, much of my face to face work now happens online. I deal with high levels of worry and some distress from families at this time. 

 3.       What does your ‘normal day’ now look like?

6.45am- get up and on.

7.30am-walk dogs.

8.15am- touch base with tribe, drink strong coffee.

9am- sit at the kitchen table to work, attempt to stay focused for 7.5 hours, rarely manage more than 6!

6pm- sort tea, touch base with tribe, start ranting about chores, or lack of them completed by tribe...

7.30pm- dog walk.

8pm- Housegroup/various zoom catch-up’s or an episode of ‘The Chosen’ (if you guys have not discovered this App yet, hunt it down, it’s amazing)

9.30pm- crash, usually literally

2am- shout at tribe for making too much noise!

 4.       Tell us one encouragement you’ve experienced whilst in lockdown

Today I was working with a Christian family who had lost a loved one to the virus, I was able to talk, pray and pass on some hard earned tips which I think helped them.

 5.       Any funny moments you are willing to share?

I am often speaking to colleagues or clients face to face online. Occasionally they get to view numerous members of my household in various states of undress as they approach the kettle, that always raises a smile.

 6.       Tell us one thing you are finding challenging.

The lack of hugging, I really miss this. And not being able to go to the pub with my mates.

 7.        What aspect of God’s character or work have you been enjoying?

I do quite enjoy viewing God’s sheer power to unravel the plans of people and to work his purposes into the everyday.

 8.       Give us something we can pray for you.

I don’t want to waste this season, I want to become more like Jesus (pretty sure my tribe would like that too!)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Midday tomorrow!

Word Online

Reaching your neighbours - the Mezei's front window!