At home with Pam Kaur

In her own words, Pam Kaur tells us about her 'new normal'!

Pam Kaur

Introduce yourself

I'm Pam, and I'm a school teacher and currently on lockdown with my mum, whom I live with. While I'm on a rota to go into work, I've actually been working from home and am due to go in next week for the WHOLE week. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm really looking forward it!!

What impact has the current lockdown had on you?

Lockdown has been interesting for me, I loved the first two weeks just because I have a difficult class and was exhausted by them, so a wee break was more than welcomed. However, by week 3, online learning was slowly testing the little patience that I had and I realised for one's mental wellbeing, face to face contact is a much better way in which God has created us to communicate! How wise He is.

What does your ‘normal day’ now look like?

A normal day for me starts at 8.30am, where I go online to post 'work' that children can engage with. This could be a writing activity, origami, solve a maths puzzle, learn art skills through a Youtube clip etc. Then  just after lunch, there is a group chat between members of the class. The afternoon, is often packed with some sort of training that the school would like us to do. And then, just after 4pm, I feel free not to be tied to the shackles of an ipad! 

Tell us one encouragement you’ve experienced whilst in lockdown?

While being isolated from seeing folks has been tricky at times, mainly, learning to deal with boredom and not getting irritable at my nearest and dearest. I am however, really thankful for the following: Firstly, with a little bit of prayer support from friends, I have grown to love mum more. We have laughed and giggled over the smallest of things and also, at each other. Secondly, I am encouraged by the way in which folk on my street engage with each other and make more of an effort to get to know each at a safe distance! VE Day was an amazing day for starting to build connections. Thirdly, I really look forward to Sunday services and prayer meetings, and appreciate the church family more than ever. It has been nice to feel that sense of belonging and unity even if we are apart. And finally, I am grateful for the little WhatsApp group of Christian friends who bring a little bit of laughter my way through their musings and antics.  It has been a blessing to have these bonds deepened. 

Tell us one thing you are finding challenging.

The most difficult thing for me during this lockdown is the new role that I have taken on as a union rep and learning how to balance and negotiate the views of those I represent; negate their feelings of fear and anxiety fuelled by media speculation; empathise and understand that the leaders of the school are trying their best at keeping both staff and pupils safe; keep a militant union voice at bay and try not to upset or misrepresent anyone, whilst clinging to what the Christian response should be.  Mediation is a wonderful idea but it is much harder in reality to achieve. So, in short, please pray for wisdom in this time.
 
Give us something we can pray for you.

Let me bring my musings to an end - I had high hopes for this time. Goals to set and achieve.  I thought I would have made more of exercising and read the bible in depth, discovered a new skill and landscaped the garden! However, my weaknesses remain the same in terms of disciplining myself to do this. But, God in his grace continues to reveal himself as a constant. When I have felt anxious or overwhelmed with worrying about mum or irritable, I prayed God would help me with these emotions, I'm not that great at handling them. Leaving them with him, gave me instant peace and I realise that He has all of this in hand, from the small things happening in my life to the larger issues which we now face. There is rest in Him.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midday tomorrow!

Word Online

Reaching your neighbours - the Mezei's front window!