Wired for sound!

For many of us, (dare I say most), music gives us a way of expressing our deepest thoughts and feelings. Think of the songs you associate with; joy...delight...loss...confusion...hope. Or the tune that takes you back to a particular event: the summer you left school; the long car journey to a specific holiday; your wedding; a significant birthday. It doesn't take much for us to start whistling the tune or humming along.

It's therefore no surprise that songs and singing mark out the people of God, giving expression not only to their faith but also their experiences and emotions along the way. Today Kim reflects on a few songs he thinks can give voice to our faith and aspirations.


Rather than my usual fix of Radio 4 in the morning, I’ve taken to listening to a few of the 270 or so hymns and worship songs in my iPod playlists. Using the shuffle function I don’t know what will come next! On Monday morning, the first song randomly selected was We have a gospel to proclaim…  Yes indeed.  Praying that God will give us new opportunities to share the gospel in this time of uncertainty.

One of the things that I will miss most during these weeks when we cannot meet together is congregational singing. However, we are greatly blessed in being able to access good Christian music, whether on CDs or online. I’ve highlighted below a few songs that I think are particularly relevant at the moment.

Creation sings the Father’s song This present creation is subject to frustration, in bondage to decay and groaning (Romans 8:19-22). But liberation is coming, new heavens and earth are promised, no more sickness and suffering, no more viruses.

When I fear my faith will fail (He will hold me fast) He will hold me fast till our faith is turned to sight, when He comes at last!

In Christ alone From life’s first cry to final breath Jesus commands my destiny… do I/we really believe this?

How firm a foundation When through fiery trials your pathway shall lie, His grace all-sufficient shall be your supply… (An upbeat version from Emu Music)

O God, whose all-sustaining hand. A hymn by Timothy Dudley Smith. Unfortunately I can’t find an audio link anywhere but the second and third verses form a very appropriate prayer:

Be near to those who strive to see
our homes from harm and terror free,
who live their lives at duty’s call
and spend themselves in serving all:
receive for them your people’s prayer,
uphold them by your constant care.


Teach us to serve our neighbour’s need,
the homeless help, the hungry feed,
the poor protect, the weak defend,
and to the friendless prove a friend;
the wayward and the lost reclaim
for love of Christ and in his name
.

And finally, a song from the excellent Sovereign Grace Music album ‘Prayers of the Saints’
Come, Lord Jesus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midday tomorrow!

Word Online

Reaching your neighbours - the Mezei's front window!