The beginning and end of the day!

So how did you answer Sunday's morning question about the beginning and end of the day? After you've hit or snoozed your alarm what's the first thing you reach for in the morning?  Your phone? Your tablet? Radio 4? In an era of instant connection it's hard for the news cycle not only to be shaping our start to the day but also the way we end it...and lots of points in between...especially as so many of us are now working from home.

So how are we doing on our intake of God's Word being greater than our consumption of the news?

I'm finding I'm needing to learn new habits - how about you? My tablet and my phone live on my bedside table overnight (I know probably not that good on the best of days!). I confess my pattern has always been to look at the news before I get out of bed and then end the day there, (or at least on BBC Sport!). But last week whilst reading an article on 'How to protect your mental health during the Coronavirus' I was struck by my need to change the way I access the news and therefore how I start and end the day. So I went on the search of some suitable devotional material.

As Kim flagged up on Sunday morning there's some free material on Bible Gateway  - why not pause and take a look.



But over the past couple of days I've settled for a new book by IVP. I was drawn to it for several reasons: the title, which seems very apt; the length, hoping that by the time I'm reaching the end (30 readings) we might find these tighter restrictions lifting; the contributors, some familiar names to many of us at Myton.
If you'd like to join me then IVP are currently selling the ebook at a reduced price, but there's a little bit of a delay on getting hold of the paperback.

So that's what I'll be using - how about you? If you've got a devotional tool to recommend why not post it below.

Let's help each other begin and end the day well.

 















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midday tomorrow!

Word Online

Reaching your neighbours - the Mezei's front window!